Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How to taste a beer...

I'm actually not going to explain how you are supposed to taste a beer, but at the Beer Fest on Saturday there was a large poster which did explain it in great detail. I'm sure almost 95% of the attendees did not notice it because they were too busy open their throats and pouring beer down it. Thats the problem with a lot of these beer tastings, they try to make it appeal to the beer lover and most of the people just want to get drunk of strong belgians and barleywines. Now I'm not saying that everyone who goes to theses events is like that, but a large majority is. If you are a beer snob like myself, you have seen it! Also I have no problem with sales reps or brewery employees pouring the beer at these events, at least know a little about the beer you are pouring. I asked a rep at the event about the beer he poured me and his response was "I don't know I just sell the beer". Man if the brew master of that brewery could have heard him! Now you are probably saying damn, this post is very harsh and negative. I would just love to attend one beer tasting where everyone there had the same respect for the brews and knew what effort went into making them. It also wouldn't hurt to have a brewer or two there to talk about the beers, they are the ones who made it, so their opinions and thoughts are totally different that those of a sales rep.

Ok, enough of me complaining about stuff. I'm still on for brewing that Citra IPA this friday. I'm actually very excited about it. I've changed the grain bill a bit to more suit the hops better. It'll be as follows:
11.00 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.50 lb Munich Malt
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Honey Malt
It should be like a light copper color which I like. BeerSmith doesn't have Citra listed in the hops, so I'll have to get the specs at work tomorrow and enter them myself. I am now rethinking brewing the Wit next, and might go with the Irish Red I do every year for St. Patrick's Day. Its a nice Nutty, toasty, slightly hoppy red ale.

I racked my Ciders that I made back in November today into a tertiary, until I figure out when I'll be able to bottle it. Taste good though! Here are some pictures of when I originally made them.

Three plain ciders with different yeast(English ale, Abby ale, and Belgian ale)

Two gallons cider, one gallon Organic Blueberry Juice and a bottle of Maple flavored Agave nectar.
This one smells and tastes the best!

Next post will probably be my brew session on Friday, unless I can think of something else to blog about till then.      Prost!

1 comment:

  1. Hey man - loving the blog. Any suggestions on reading material about brewing so that I can have the same appreciation as you? Thanks! Colin

    ReplyDelete